More Useful Information
Take a moment to explore the links below to learn more about the Appalachian State University campus, the Boone/High Country region, and area events happening in the summer of 2010:
- Check out VisitBooneNC for a peek at the area's sights and attractions.
- The Summer Times features (almost) everything you need to know about what's going on in the High Country. Local attractions, history, and more are described in this local publication. The 2010 guide is linked here, but copies of the 2011 Summer Times will be provided for you when you arrive on campus.
- Each year An Appalachian Summer Festival brings nationally--and internationally--known entertainers to AppState. The 2011 schedule is now available online!
-Also each year is the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, this year from July 7th through the 10th. Check out their website/ for more information.
- Friday July 1st will be downtown Boone's monthly Art Crawl. You can meet local artists, shop, dine, visit galleries or see musical shows.
-The Jones House, Boone's Cultural and Community Center hosts Concerts on the Lawn every Friday at 5pm as well as many other interesting events.
- AppState's own Dr. Ray Russell keeps an eye on the Boone Weather for us. For the latest forecast, plus a different local "photo of the day" with unique views of area sights and features, visit his site!
- Driving to Boone? You'll want to check out the maps (campus maps, driving maps) included on Appalachian's Web pages.
- You can also take a virtual tour of the Appstate Campus.
There's lots more to do and see while you're here at Kellogg. (We will be scheduling a motor coach tour of the High Country on July 9, including a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and a stop at the historic Mast General Store). Copies of the local weekly Mountain Times and brochures from a number of local attractions will be available for you in the residence hall lounge -- there is plenty to do and see in the High Country, and we know you'll enjoy your time in Boone.
I hope you find the information provided in these links helpful as you prepare for your stay at Kellogg. Some of you may already be familiar with the campus and the region -- if you would like to share your recommendations of places to see and things to do, please click on "comments" below and tell us!